Established in 1957
Supermarket & Retailer was born in 1957 under the name, The General Dealer. This title reflected the independent counter service stores that dominated grocery retailing at the time.
We concentrated on informing and inspiring our readers on modern retailing methods, including the self-‐service concept and prepacking merchandise, which until that point was mostly sold loose and weighed to the customer's request. We helped launch frozen foods and a host of new product categories to the market.
As the industry moved from counter to self‐service and then to the larger supermarket format, we have kept our readers at the cutting edge of the industry.
Who we are today
Fast forward to today...
We're now a specialised media group, which focuses on fast moving consumer goods, retailers, wholesalers and suppliers.
We help our readers explore new store formats (hybrids, supermarket/fuel retailer collaborations etc.), embrace new technologies (online, mobile, social networking), and improve the efficiency of the entire operation – from supplier, distribution centre, store shelf to customer basket. All the while, facing new threats both locally and abroad.
What we do
We bring retailers and wholesalers the latest industry news, store formats, category reports, merchandising and promotion ideas, operating efficiencies, international trends and lessons in our monthly publication, Supermarket & Retailer. Plus there's our annual Equipment & Services Buyers Guide – the handbook for every new and expanding store.
Our reach is not limited to South African borders and we're presently growing our database of readers in other African countries.
We've also added a full range of digital media to our bouquet of media platforms and products:
- Our website receives around 8 500 visits from 6 500 unique visitors per month
- Equipment & Services Buyers Guide online version
- New Product Mobi Site (m.supermarket.co.za), with New Product Alerts being sent out to 10 000 decision makers (Jan 2013)
- Updates: our weekly newsletter full of industry news for retailers and suppliers
- Promo Email: an opportunity to broadcast news and upcoming events to over 8 651 retail and supplier decision makers (April 2013)
- Plus a strong presence on Twitter (@supermarketmag) and most recently, Pinterest (Supermarket Space)
How you can get involved?
- Advertise with us to get your brand proposition message across the entire retail spectrum.
- Ask our trade ad experts for ad ideas that will positively boost your brand's success.
Who can you contact: